Release: Granite Staters Rightfully Still Oppose Hassan's Obamacare Six Years Later
MANCHESTER - Obamacare turns six years old today, but Governor Maggie Hassan, who has been one of its strongest supporters, is in the small minority of Granite Staters who will be celebrating the failing law's regrettable milestone.
In the latest WMUR Granite State Poll released earlier this month, President Obama's signature "achievement" remains very unpopular in New Hampshire:
- 47% of Granite Staters oppose Obamacare.
- Only 26% of Independents support Obamacare.
- Only 13% of Granite Staters say Obamacare has helped their family.
- 28% of Granite Staters say Obamacare has hurt their family.
It isn't surprising that so many Granite Staters are still opposed to Obamacare given its failures:
Premiums have skyrocketed.
Penalties are increasing this year.
- The per-person charge from the federal government for not having health insurance in 2016 jumps to $695 per adult and $347.50 per child, topping out at $2,085 per family.
- Deductibles for exchange policies have risen 8.4% nationwide.
Enrollment numbers have fallen short.
- In March 2015, the CBO predicted 21 million people would enroll in the exchanges in 2016, but in January they cut their projection to 13 million people. Only 12.7 million people have actually signed up, but by the end of the year, that number will likely be even smaller after what was seen in 2015. Last year, the Obama Administration proudly declared that 11.7 million people had enrolled, but by the end of the year, only 8.8 million people had an active policy.
Obamacare needs a large number younger and healthier individuals to sign up to offset costs from older enrollees, but thus far they have not done so.
- The Obama Administration hoped for about 40% of enrollees to be between the ages of 18 - 35, but they currently only make up about a quarter of participants.
Derek Dufresne of Citizens for a Strong New Hampshire released the following statement;
"For over half a decade, we have heard liberal robots like Governor Maggie Hassan regurgitate countless talking points to create a facade that a government takeover of our healthcare system has been a success. The reality is the opposite. During that time, families have faced skyrocketing premiums, higher deductibles, and increased penalties. Enrollment numbers have fallen short, and some insurers are even considering leaving the exchange.
"Obamacare's track record over the past six years has been a disaster and its future implications on families appears just as grim. Maggie Hassan might have been successfully programed to repeat her Washington talking points on the failing law, but Granite Staters aren't falling for it. They have actually felt the negative impact of Obamacare, which is exactly why they have consistently opposed it."